On November 3 and 4, 2022, we held the Notebooks Now! hybrid workshop at AGU headquarters in Washington, DC. A huge thank you to our steering committee and attendees for your participation and effort!
During the workshop, we convened four workstreams covering different aspects of the process to publish computational notebooks:
- Pre-submission - Exploratory stage where early organizational approaches can help structure work in notebooks, to better prepare for publication submission.
- Submission & Metadata - Manuscript submission in structured format with associated data/software and where metadata are collected (e.g., author information, etc)
- Editorial & Peer Review - Conversion and extraction of manuscript (metadata) information. Facilitation and tracking of manuscript peer review.
- Production & Post Production - Dissemination, hosting, and preservation of final output (version of record)
Each workstream drafted a Charter outlining challenges, questions, and next steps and created Working Groups, who will continue to work on producing recommendations, policies and guidance for publishing computational notebooks.
- We will be convening the co-chairs of each Working Group in early January to schedule and define next steps for the working group outputs.
- Working Groups will be meeting over the next 6-8 months to draft and refine outputs.
In case you weren’t able to attend the 3-4 November Workshop, recordings of each workshop day are available on Youtube.
Day 1: link
Day 2: link