Workshop 3: Finalizing the Ethics in AI/ML Modules
Our 3rd and final workshop was held virtually on 13 February, 2023 from 10:00 to 16:00 ET. Thank you to all who attended for their comments and feedback on the draft Principles and Responsibilities document!
As we move into 2023, we are working on a timeline for finalizing the Principles and Responsibilities in AI/ML and associated modules. We received a number of responses to our request for feedback on the draft through both our online feedback form and our Town Hall at AGU’s 2022 Fall Meeting, and worked to incorporate these comments into the draft Principles and Responsibilities during Workshop 3. Our next step is now to incorporate that feedback into a final draft. Agenda link
Welcome & Project Recap
- Review meeting code of conduct, objectives, and logistics
- Recap work so far
Discuss Feedback and Assign Action Items
- Review feedback on draft modules/principles & responsibilities document; code of conduct
- Discuss ‘bigger picture’ feedback and changes – how will this feedback be incorporated? Which modules need edits?
- Potential topic: use of AI software as an ‘author’
- Re-introduce the working groups and assign editing tasks (Join Slack groups here) Breakout Groups
- Review feedback on assigned draft modules/principles & responsibilities sections
- Address feedback and make any needed edits
- Larger group reforms
Working Groups report on their edits:
10 minutes per working group.
- Closing & Next Steps
- Discuss next steps and timeline to finalize document
- Discuss plan for use and tracking impact
- Schedule any future work needed
Breakout Group 1:
1 - Transparency, Documenting, and Reporting.
2 - Intentionality, Interpretability, Explainability, Reproducibility, and Replicability
Breakout Group 2:.
3 - Risk, Bias, Impacts.
4 - Trust in AI/ML.
Breakout Group 3:.
5 - Outreach, Training, and Leading Practices.
6 - Participatory Methods and Domain Expertise
7 - Considerations for Organizations, Institutions, Publishers, Societies, and Funders.